The safety manager is responsible for analyzing, designing, and implementing policies and procedures to make a workplace safe for employees. This includes making the work environment more comfortable for employees by designing safe work spaces, ways to decrease absenteeism and injuries, how to increase employee productivity, inspecting machines to make sure they are working safely and properly, and inspecting procedures to make sure they are in compliance with state and Federal laws. They work closely with employees gathering data on a specific procedure and then analyze this information to develop new ways to increase productivity, safety, and efficiency. They will then present this information to management and implement new procedures as necessary.
The responsibilities of the safety manager are varied by industry, the workplace environment, and hazards affecting employees. Analyzing workplace procedures, inspections of policies and procedures, documentation of all findings, knowledge of local and Federal laws, understanding biological hazards, understanding ergonomics, and designing and implementing new procedures are also included.
Safety Manager Job Responsibilities
• Reporting Injuries
• Daily Job Walk Through
• Maintaining safety spreadsheet and retraining expired training
• 300 Log
• Maintain safety company records on shared drives to show training for quick company access
• Schedule and update training requirements (Scheduled training, based hire date or re-cert is due)
• Maintain safety matrix (up to date reflecting new hires)
• Perform new hire orientation including the issue of PPE
• Perform annual required training updates
• Issue safety cards to new hires/employees
• Responsible for conducting training for cable way inspection and all other training required for new hires/welders
• Tracking test plates after sent out for testing, a copy of all documentation must be kept in the employee’s QA/safety file
• Manage all Safety records ensuring all documented training is current and OSHA compliant
• Issue and track personal protective equipment (PPE)
• Assist with maintaining welding supplies
• Supporting Surge Force for weld qualifications and safeguard records
• Attend VSRA/AMMA meetings
• Participate in the production meeting /managers meeting
• Develop AIT Safety monthly newsletter
• Assist with procedure development
• Read and Review Navsea/Shipyard/OSHA Standards
To explore any of our job opportunities, please e-mail your resume to Human Resources at email@example.com.
AIT is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer (EEO/AA) offering a comprehensive compensation package including Health and Dental Insurance, Vision and Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, 401 (K), Paid Time Off (PTO), Paid Company Holidays, Tuition Assistance Program and more.